Skip to Main Content


Q. What should I do if I've been involved in a traffic accident?
A person should first ensure that no one is injured. If no one is injured, all parties (drivers) should exchange information: driver's license numbers (if in possession or known), vehicle license numbers, names, addresses, and phone numbers of all drivers (passengers, if possible), and the names of the insurance companies of the drivers involved. The involved persons should also write down the location where the traffic collision occurred (utilizing cross street names or addresses and street names) and the time it occurred.

Q. What are the reporting requirements if I've been involved in a traffic accident?
A. A traffic collision report will be taken by the Police or Sheriff's Office when one of the following reporting criteria is met: a person involved in the traffic collision has been injured (complaining of pain is considered injury) or dies one of the drivers is under the influence of alcohol or drugs one of the drivers has fled the location without stopping to exchange information or check on the welfare of the other parties involved city or county property is involved (city vehicle, light post, signal light, etc.) damage in excess of $1,000 has been done.

Q. How do I make a traffic accident report?
A. To make a traffic accident report, a person only needs to contact the Police or Sheriff's Office and an officer will be dispatched to take the report and investigate the accident. A person can contact either the Police Department or Sheriff's Office by calling one of the following numbers: 911, if it's an emergency

  • Police -- 620-672-5551
  • Sheriff -- 620-672-4133.

Q. How can I report child abuse?
A. Call the Police Department, Sheriff's Office, or Social Services Department. In the Pratt area the phone number is 620-672-5955 or, if the abuse continues, make an emergency call to 911. The identities of callers reporting child abuse are protected by state statute.

Q. How can I report elder abuse?
A. The serious nature of the problem of elder abuse and dependent adult abuse, coupled with the increasing numbers of reports of such abuse, has made it vital that the Pratt County Sheriff's Office, Pratt Police Department, and Kansas Department of SRS work closely together to provide a meaningful response to abuse reports."Elder physical abuse" is defined as a situation where any person who has the care or custody of, or who stands in a position of trust with an elder, willfully inflicts upon that elder any cruel or inhuman corporal punishment or injury. Physical abuse includes, but is not limited to, direct beatings, sexual assault, unreasonable physical constraint, or prolonged deprivation of food or water.To report elder abuse, call the Police Department, Sheriff's Office, or Social Services Department. In the Pratt area that phone number is 620-672-5955, or if the abuse continues, make an emergency call to 911.

Q. When should I use 911 versus 7-digit telephone lines?
A. Call 911 when there is a life or death emergency that requires the immediate response of emergency service such as police, fire, or paramedic. Always call 911 when there is a medical problem or something that requires any of the emergency services to respond. Emergency services include the police, sheriff, ambulance, and fire departments. When there is a situation that requires police response but is not an emergency, use the non-emergency 7-digit telephone numbers:

  • Police: 620-672-5551
  • Sheriff: 620-672-4133
  • Ambulance: 620-672-4130

Q. How can I call 911 at all times?
A. All 911 calls are received by Police Dispatchers who are trained to screen call quickly and efficiently. When calling to report a non-emergency incident, dial the operator and ask for a non-emergency police line. This does not require money when calling from a pay phone. Dial 911 (on a pay phone it is not necessary to deposit money). Tell the 911 operator what you need--ambulance, fire truck, or the police. Be calm. When a caller is upset, it is hard to understand what he or she is saying or to get vital information quickly. Stay on the phone. Do not hang up! Give your name and address. If your address is different from the location of the crimes, be sure to let the operator know. If possible, give the operator suspect description, weapons (if any), and vehicle descriptions and license. Emergency operators will verify your address and telephone to ensure that the telephone company address that is sent with the call is current and accurate. People living in mobile home parks or on private roads often have addresses that differ from the telephone company street addresses. If you fall into one of these categories, contact the Pratt County Emergency Preparedness Department to find out what your legal street address is.